Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Marine Hang on Holding & Breeding Box

Here, I have a photo of a Marine Breeder Box I bought.  This is the largest one of three sizes (S, M, L).  
It's about 10 inches long, 6 inches high and 6 inches deep.  A good size for a temporary home for a small number of shrimp, I would say.  Currently, I am using this box to house 13 CBS of mixed sizes just fine.  

It's a clear box with good visibility inside.  In order for this box to work for you, you need two extra items that this kit does NOT include.  These two items are an air pump and air tubing.  

The reason you need an air pump for this box is because it uses bubbles to push water upwards into the box.  As the box overflows, it leaks out into the other side.  See image below.  

I have modified this box by not using any of the dividers it provides.  You can keep dividers in or remove it, it's removable for customization.  Pics below is what mine looks like in the end.


This is a pretty simple product but works wonderfully for me.  It does its job perfectly and I can see it being useful even after I house my CBS into their permanent home.  I do not recommend using these boxes as a permanent home for shrimp or fish, for that matter.  It's still too small for longterm use.  Excellent to use if you are trying to separate individuals for breeding purposes or culls though. 

Note that newborn shrimp can escape through the lining of the outflow but young shrimp of 2 weeks of age or so should be fine inside.  

Great product, I would recommend having at least one on hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment