Friday, January 13, 2012

First berried CRS

I received my CRS approx. 1 month ago on Dec. 11, 2011.  After doing a top-off last night, one of my females molted.  A few hours later, I watched multiple males (about 3, my M-F ratio is skewed.  More females than males) harassing her.  I knew this was a sign:  I'm going to have my first berried (pregnant) female soon!

This morning, when I went to check on my tank.  Lo and behold, my first berried female.

Now, this post is to record the time it takes for a newly introduced CRS to start getting berried.  My friend told me it took about a month, I said 3 weeks or so.  I was wrong.  Caridina sp. such as Crystals took me about a month indeed.  I believe 3 weeks is for Neocaridina sp.  But... that needs to be officially tested still.

FAQ:  
Q:  How soon should I expect my CRS to start carrying eggs?
A:  Approx. 1 month







*****
Please note that the time/duration will vary accordingly to the conditions you keep them in.  I've kept my tanks pretty stable with no giant swing in parameters.  Stable environment leads to more comfortable adaptations to changes for the shrimp.  They will berry faster in a stable environment.  Granted, expect about a month's worth (+/- a few days) of waiting still for stable parameters.

1 comment:

  1. Congratz! You have a very nice blog. When I introduced 10 Golden Bee Shrimps it took me 21 days to spot berried one and 33 days for her to hatch it. Maybe the cold weather or something the Golden Bee was berried again the next day.

    ReplyDelete