Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fluval Shrimp Net



I decided to purchase this net earlier at a LFS in San Francisco.  I don't necessarily "need" it but I justified it by saying all my other nets are pretty old and had a little bit of rust on em.  In any case, I picked this up for less than $10.  Normally, I used brine shrimp nets found in Petsmart.  But I figured I should try this one out.

Let's begin by going over what features this net offers.

  • Aesthetically, it looks pretty neat.
  • The net is a circle, instead of the typical rectangular shape.  It's almost like a small butterfly net.
  • The best thing about this net is that it's telescopic.  Meaning, it's extendable.  See pics below!  It's all the same net.





I can reach into my 20 gallon long tank, all the way to the very bottom without my hand getting in the water, at it's longest extension.  It's totally adjustable so you can customize how long or short you want the net to be.

I used this net for the first time today to move my Crystal Black Shrimp into a new container.  Catching the shrimp is still a pain, but that's expected.  The net's diameter is approx. 1 1/2 - 2 inches.  More than enough for dwarf shrimp.  Easier to selectively catch what you want too.  The length of the net itself is about 2 1/2 - 3 inches long, so there's room for the shrimp to go in deep enough.

My only complaint about this net is that it is NOT as soft as a brine shrimp net.  In fact, its material is more similar to a regular fish net.  If it were a brine shrimp net material, I would be much happier.  I'm not sure why they didn't implicate that when creating a net specifically for shrimp.  In any case though, it's not a terrible net.  It didn't damage my Crystal Blacks in any way.

Would I recommend this net?  Yes, but only if you don't have a net already or if you really want an adjustable handle.  If you already have a small brine shrimp net and it works perfectly fine, you can save your money and stick with it.  A net is a net.  This one has cool perks but definitely not deemed necessary and you can survive without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment